Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chocolatey Avalanche Bars.

It may be April, but as far as I'm concerned... it's summer. 

Today I had iced coffee for breakfast. Like.. just iced coffee. At 6 AM. Totally a thing. 

I bought a bright buttercup-yellow tank top. I drove with the windows down and the Katy Perry up. I daydreamed about tropical beaches, the scent of Pirates of the Caribbean/Splash Mountain waterfalls, flowy, flowery dresses, pancakes/waffles/my face with coconut syrup, and streaking my hair sunkissed-blond. I baked Rice Krispie treats that took six hours to set in this spring heat. My boyfriend texted me, "What do you want for dinner?", and my first thought was, "Churros. Ice cream. No, definitely funnel cakes."

I wish I was joking.
So... summer! Melty chocolate, baking without ovens, and lazy camera-phone photography. It's a thing and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Also, let's be real. Rice Krispies + marshmallows + white chocolate chips + mini chocolate chips + peanut butter is never going to = a bad thing. 
... except that's not just any kind of peanut butter. 

It's this stuff. 
Made of dark chocolate and peanut butter and dreams. 

Basically a perfect match for rich, white chocolate crispy squares and funnel cake dinners. 
Get into it!

Chocolatey Avalanche Bars 


12 ounces white chocolate chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter 
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips + extra to sprinkle over the top

Spray a 9x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat white chocolate chips for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each increment, until chips are melted.

Stir in the peanut butter and Rice Krispies. Let cool for 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes.  

Stir in the marshmallows and chocolate chips. 

Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and spread evenly, pressing lightly with the back of a wooden spoon (but not too much or they'll get hard). 
Sprinkle a handful of mini chocolate chips over the top and press them down lightly. 

Cut into squares when completely cooled, swoon, and enjoy!

Source: Cookies & Cups.