Monday, August 26, 2013

Puffy Sprinkle Sugar Cookies.


A Real-Life Girl's Guide to Baking.

When I'm stressed, I banana bread. Just let me mash bananas and breathe.

When I need confidence, one thing to go absolutely right in my day, I bundt cake. Mix, pour, bake, frost. It's effortless, classy, and foolproof... three things I can't always claim about the rest of my day.

When I need to say I love you, I chocolate chip cookie.

I love you + can we please plan a trip to Disneyland and/or are you ever going to put a ring on it? M&Ms + brown butter.

Real. So real.


If I'm feeling creative, I cupcake. Flirty? Bourbon-baking! Adventurous and just living life? Yeasty, cinnamon, hours of rising & kneading baking. Homesick? Quickbreads. Lemon breads, zucchini breads... all baked from recipes stolen from my mom, always and for life.

And when I need one reason to celebrate everything and nothing at all?

I think you know.


SPRINKLES!



These fat, puffy vanilla-almond sugar cookies bake up tall and pillowy-soft, like little scoops of soft-serve ice cream, with chewy centers and perfectly crisp edges. And they're loaded with sprinkles. Halloween-colored sprinkles... because I'm ready for all things fall. The crisp days, changing leaves, pumpkin spice everything, and celebrating that it's-almost-Christmas magic.  

Maybe I also bought three glittery-gold pumpkins this week and am already daydreaming of pumpkin cakes and candy corn. Just let it happen. 

Unrelated: But I'm also obsessed with these colorful cookie bottoms. They're just asking to be made into funfetti ice cream sandwiches, don't you think? 



Puffy Sprinkle Cookies

Printable Recipe 

2 sticks butter, at room temperature 
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
1/2 teaspoon almond extract 
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Heaping 1/4 cup sprinkles

Prep. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat baking mat or spray with baking spray. Set aside. 

Mix. In the bowl on a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.Add the vanilla, almond extract, and egg and mix until well-combined. 

Whisk. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to the wet ingredients, mixing on low speed until thoroughly combined. 

Sprinkles! Gently stir in the sprinkles, being careful not to over-mix. 

Bake. Scoop dough using a cookie scoop and place on baking sheet 1-inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just light golden brown. Let cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. 

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Source: Table for Two.