Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Peanut Butter Cup Treats.

Earlier this week I got lost in San Francisco.

Not the I-took-a-wrong-turn kind of lost. The I'm-not-even-supposed-to-be-in-this-city sort of lost. 

The only thing that kept me from completely melting down on the Bay Bridge was knowing I had a tray of peanut butter cup cookies in the backseat in case I was really and truly stranded in this city of one-way streets, impossible parking, and suicidal pedestrians darting in front of my car on their bikes and skateboards.

That and having my boyfriend on speakerphone, Google-Earthing me out of this terrifying city. 

Turn-By-Turn Boyfriend. The most handsome app ever.
These bite-size peanut butter cookies with a chocolatey Reese's cup center are one of my family's Christmas favorites. I plan on gaining at least five pounds every December thanks to these (and my addiction to all things chocolatey-peanut butter). And since they're baked in mini-muffin tins, they couldn't be easier to make.  They're perfect for parties.

Or breakfast. 

... or getting lost in big cities. 

Peanut Butter Cup Treats

Printable Recipe

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1 egg
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla 
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
About 1 bag of miniature peanut butter cups
Combine butter, sugars, egg, peanut butter, and vanilla in mixing bowl; beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture. Cover dough and chill. (I chilled my dough for about half an hour).

Preheat oven to 375°F.

When cold enough to handle easily, roll in small (walnut-sized) balls; place each ball in greased miniature muffin tin. Bake for 8-9 minutes.

Remove from oven; gently press one peanut butter cup into each cookie. Cool in pan at least 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Store in a cool place until serving time.

Makes about three dozen cookies.
Source: Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies & Bars, January 2008.