Friday, December 24, 2010

A Last Minute Christmas Morning Recipe.

December 24th... and all I want to do is bake something. I'm resisting.

For now. 
I love Christmas Eve. I think I may love it even more than Christmas. The excitement, the family, the way time crawls so slowly, the twinkling lights, singing carols by candlelight, watching Love Actually, and holding out the slightest hope that Santa really does exist (I'm a bit like Brittany from Glee, I won't lie to you)... the entire day is magic
If you need a last minute recipe for Christmas morning (or Christmas Eve dinner... or now), this is my absolute favorite. We make it every Christmas and occasionally for birthdays and it's the most delicious thing I've ever eaten in my life.

And since it's Christmas Eve and who wants to run to the store again, I can promise you that you probably have all of the ingredients already. 

These soft, cinnamon-nutmeg-y baked doughnuts take almost no time at all to make and are rolled in melted butter and sugar immediately after they're pulled out of the oven. If you have kids, I can promise you from personal experience (I'm making lots of promises today, aren't I?) that they'll have a ton of fun helping you make these... I've been helping my mom since she had to stand me on a chair to reach the counter.

I don't have any photos of my own because it's not Christmas morning yet, but I couldn't wait to post the recipe. And if we're being honest, they wouldn't last long enough to photograph anyway. Here's the link to Betty Crocker's recipe if the words rolled in melted butter and sugar haven't convinced you yet and the photo from their site: 
Oh addiction.

Buttons & Bows

2 cups Bisquick mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, milk, and egg until soft dough forms.

Place dough on surface sprinkled with Bisquick mix. Roll dough into a ball; knead about 5 times. Press or roll dough until 1/2-inch thick.

Cut dough with doughnut cutter dipped in Bisquick mix. To make bow shapes, hold opposite sides of each ring of dough, then twist to make a figure 8. On ungreased cookie sheet, place bows and buttons (the dough from the center of each ring).

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately dip each bow and button into melted butter, then in 1/2 cup of sugar. Serve warm.

Source: Betty Crocker.
Merry Christmas!