Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chocolate Almond Cracker Candy.

Mmmm. Christmas. The only time of year where it's perfectly acceptable to eat this with your coffee for breakfast.  

I have a secret... please don't judge me. 

I think they taste better straight out of the freezer. I love frozen peanut butter cups (or frozen chocolate, frozen cookie dough, frozen cake, frozen chocolate chip cookies...). Maybe it's just me. I'm okay with that.

Except this will be me come January...
Also okay with that.

I've just made my third (yes, third. Don't look at me that way. No judging, remember?) batch of almond chocolate cracker candy. Of all the recipes I've made this Christmas, this is simply the best. 
Two things happen when I make this candy.

1. When someone hears for the first time that I'm baking with saltine crackers, I get concerned, sideways glances, usually involving either wrinkled noses or fleeing from the kitchen, and statements like, "Oh... *disappointment* That's... nice.". I don't judge them. They'll be back. Because...

2. The minute the smell of toasted almonds or melted butter and brown sugar baking over a layer of crackers permeates the house, I start having to swat hands away. I have to guard the freezer with a spatula long enough to let the candy cool, otherwise half of it will disappear into impatient mouths.

It never fails. Please trust me on this... you havehavehave to make a batch of this this Christmas. Addictive. Delicious. Do it.

Chocolate Almond Cracker Candy

Printable Recipe

1 sleeve Saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spray a jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the crackers close together.

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a medium pan over medium-high heat, stirring often. Heat the mixture for about three to five minutes, until it turns a nice caramel-looking color. 

Pour over the crackers evenly and bake for 15 minutes. 

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crackers. The chocolate should start to melt. Spread evenly over the crackers and then sprinkle with toasted almonds. 

Allow to cool completely (on the counter or in the freezer or refrigerator if you want to speed things up) before breaking into pieces. 

10 comments:

  1. Count me in, not among those who look at you judgmentally, but among those who get a gleam in their eye at the scrumptious nature of this unique recipe! I'll bet this cracker candy get rave reviews. I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to twist my arm. I am totally making these tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this (plus a peppermint version with crushed candy canes) for my holiday boxes this year. And last year. And sometimes during the year when the mood strikes. They're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw this recipe somewhere else too! I love the fact that its made with saltines.. my roommate in college used to make it and we would devour a pan in minutes after it had cooled so I by no means have any room to judge you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of saltines I use Graham crackers and they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous- Graham crackers = genius. I seriously need to try that when I make these again. I might not even wait til Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering about graham crackers myself. I'm out of saltines, but have GC. Off to give it a whirl...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reporting back in case others are thinking of making this for Christmas like myself. DO IT. No, really. You have to make this. I've never had it with saltines, but the batch I made last night with graham crackers tastes just like toffee. No lie. I need to make another pan or 2 because I know it's going to be popular. Thanks for the recipe and mentioning it in your roundup of Christmas recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok...i jumped up from the computer and went and made 2 batches..one with saltines, and one with graham crackers...BUT i forgot to spray the 2nd pan with spray...yikes..theyare currently freezing in the freezer and i sure hope i can get them out of the pan! gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Question: Any idea(s) why the chocolate wouldn't stick to the toffee? I broke mine up tonight and a lot of the chocolate didn't stick, just popped right off. Bummed, but want to try it again. THOUGHTS??

    ReplyDelete