Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chocolate Almond Cracker Candy.

Mmmm. Christmas. The only time of year where it's perfectly acceptable to eat this with your coffee for breakfast.  

I have a secret... please don't judge me. 

I think they taste better straight out of the freezer. I love frozen peanut butter cups (or frozen chocolate, frozen cookie dough, frozen cake, frozen chocolate chip cookies...). Maybe it's just me. I'm okay with that.

Except this will be me come January...
Also okay with that.

I've just made my third (yes, third. Don't look at me that way. No judging, remember?) batch of almond chocolate cracker candy. Of all the recipes I've made this Christmas, this is simply the best. 
Two things happen when I make this candy.

1. When someone hears for the first time that I'm baking with saltine crackers, I get concerned, sideways glances, usually involving either wrinkled noses or fleeing from the kitchen, and statements like, "Oh... *disappointment* That's... nice.". I don't judge them. They'll be back. Because...

2. The minute the smell of toasted almonds or melted butter and brown sugar baking over a layer of crackers permeates the house, I start having to swat hands away. I have to guard the freezer with a spatula long enough to let the candy cool, otherwise half of it will disappear into impatient mouths.

It never fails. Please trust me on this... you havehavehave to make a batch of this this Christmas. Addictive. Delicious. Do it.

Chocolate Almond Cracker Candy

Printable Recipe

1 sleeve Saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spray a jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the crackers close together.

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a medium pan over medium-high heat, stirring often. Heat the mixture for about three to five minutes, until it turns a nice caramel-looking color. 

Pour over the crackers evenly and bake for 15 minutes. 

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crackers. The chocolate should start to melt. Spread evenly over the crackers and then sprinkle with toasted almonds. 

Allow to cool completely (on the counter or in the freezer or refrigerator if you want to speed things up) before breaking into pieces.