Monday, August 1, 2011

Double Chocolate Chunk Oreo Cookies.

Fun fact: I've started running. This is why.
Oh man.

I know. Don't look at me like that. But this is a baking blog. I spend my free time thinking about cookies and s'mores and cheesecake, reading recipes, stalking food blogs, baking cupcakes, snapping photos of them, trying not to eat them, staring at/editing photos, writing about sugar and butter and frosting, anddddd... then starting all over the next day with something else new and sweet.

Four words: Freshman Food Blogger Fifteen. That's real life. 

Okay, let me Tarantino this post & go back to the running bit.

I went running last week, which really consists of me blasting Pitbull & Selena Gomez in my ears, running for 2-3 minutes, then walking/dragging/clutching at my side and hating my life for 5 minutes while I catch my out-of-shape breath, then blasting the Burlesque soundtrack and repeating the running/walking/hatred on loop until I feel like I'm gonna die. 

In purple Converses, one-size too small. Yeah. Blisters. I have them. 

Oh and in jeans. I don't have work-out clothes. Buying work-out clothes is like admitting, "Yeah. I'm out of shape. I've gained weight. I like cupcakes. I'm not perfect." I may or may not have commitment issues.
What's running have to do with these cookies? Nothing at all slash everything at all. Luckily these weren't for me. 
I love how these turned out. Perfectly chewy with crisp edges and studded with lots of chocolate chunks, rich white chocolate chips, and crunchy bits of Oreos.
Like a cookies and cream cookie.

Or a cookie within a cookie, if you will. 
... I guess this means more running tomorrow.

Double Chocolate Chunk Oreo Cookies

Printable Recipe

1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
12-15 Oreos, roughly cut into quarters
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Cream together the shortening, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to the shortening mixture and mix well, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Stir in Oreo pieces, chocolate chunks, and white chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the center tests done when poked with a toothpick. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Source: Adapted from Nestle Tollhouse.