Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gingersnaps & An Epic Book Sale Find.

Every few months our library holds a book sale where, for $5, you can take home as many books as you can carry. Since I spend all of my free time either reading, in libraries, or daydreaming about the library in Beauty & the Beast (and baking), I get really excited about these book sales. You never know what you'll find.

Last year I found a bartenders' guide from 1948.

1948. With yellowed pages and ingredients that made no sense and everything (Kina Lillet? Caperitif? The white of one egg?!?). 

This caught my eye on Saturday. I have no idea how it got mixed in with all the books, but this pretty flowery box of possibilities was just lying there, ignored and unwanted, and I had to know. I looked around shyly, grabbed it, and ran to a corner to explore its contents.
Inside was this pretty blue recipe binder! I've been wanting one for so long, but never got around to it.
And not only was it in perfect condition... it was overflowing with recipes. See?  
Someone had donated their entire collection of family recipes. I wiggled my toes, did my very best not to dance, and started going through its pages, feeling a little intrusive, like a historian or a recipe archaeologist. 
Very funny.
That's better.
Caramel corn ice cream... oh how I am so making you this summer.
My boyfriend and I are planning a camping trip this spring and there were even pages on camping food!

I started thinking this book had magical, intuitive powers at this point.

(Not to mention the fact that the binder eerily matches my blog layout, right down to the pink daisies.)
This made me hungry.
Fancy apples.
Yes, please. Cheesecake = love.
Chocolate-banana crepes. Crepes has been on my aspirations list since before this blog was even an idea in my head.
Thank you, Ray273. This recipe has a unique twist at the end that I can't wait to try.
Did I mention that the box was full of recipes too? It's going to take awhile to sift through the whole thing. I can't wait to try the tortilla casserole to see what else I find.  

In the meantime... I made gingersnaps!
Gingersnaps


3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Additional sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg and molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.

Roll dough into balls and roll in extra granulated sugar. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crinkly. Remove to wire racks to cool. 

Source: Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies & Bars, Fall 2007.