Monday, April 4, 2011

Soft, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Earlier this week I realized I'd never posted a recipe for chocolate chip cookies.

Also, I've never made pie.

And I've recently discovered bits of flour, batter, and frosting in the crevices of my camera.

I think this officially makes me a food blogger.
If you like your cookies on the crunchy side with a slightly soft center, I recommend the pretzel M&M cookies I posted last year. It's a similar recipe, using shortening instead of butter, is boyfriend-approved, and has been my go-to recipe for years. 

But, if you're like me, and prefer a soft, thick, chewy, bakery-style chocolate chip cookie with an almost cookie dough-y center that melts in your mouth... this recipe is infinitely better.
And my new favorite.

This is the recipe Jenny from Picky Palate uses in all of her famous stuffed cookie recipes, except I threw in a half teaspoon of cinnamon in to make the chocolate chips really pop. I love the way cinnamon tastes in chocolate chip cookies. 
My knees nearly buckled when these came out of the oven. They were soft and gooey and perfect, like fancy gourmet cookies, but better

But instead of shoveling a hundred of them into my mouth like I wanted to, I loyally stacked them onto a plate, hunted down natural lighting in the middle of a rainstorm, and got cookie crumbs all over my camera and lens. 
Food bloggers. We're a crazy special bunch.

Soft, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies 


1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) bag of chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined. Add eggs one a time and then the vanilla, until well combined.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Slowly add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded spoonfuls (I used a cookie scoop) onto a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are done.

Source: Barely adapted from Picky Palate