Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Homemade English Toffee.

A few mornings ago I woke up to my mom making homemade English toffee. 

That's how you know it's going to be a good day.
Making candy is like making bread to me. It's all foreign. Yeast? Kneading? Wait, let it rise how long? Exactly. Candy thermometers? Boiling sugar? Continuously stirring? Get out! I'll be over here eating sugar cookies for breakfast and stalking you with my camera and annoying questions.

"Stir slower. I'm trying to get a good picture." 

"Does hot sugar burn?" 

"What's that. What are you doing. Why are you doing that. WAIT! I DIDN'T GET A PICTURE."

"Sprinkle the almonds a little prettier."
"What'd you get me for Christmas?" 

"Why didn't you just make almond cracker candy? It's the same thing."  

Til she leveled me with a dirty look.

Apparently saltine crackers is "not the same thing" as hot sugar and butter magically stirred into sweet, rich, delicious homemade toffee. Who knew.

I want to live inside this picture.
P.S. I'm starting to think there's a theme around here and it goes a little like this:
That's probably why back in the day (it was a Tuesday. Just kidding. It was 1974.) it was called butter crunch. 

I'm okay with that.
"Why aren't you using the recipe for toffee to make toffee?"

"Because it's not toffee. Why're you eating cookies for breakfast?"              

Moms. Honestly.

Homemade English Toffee


1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts (we used almonds)
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips 

Line a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil; butter foil or spray with cooking spray and set aside. 

Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat. Add sugar; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. 
Stir in water and corn syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until 290°F on candy thermometer. It'll start to thicken up and turn a light brown toffee color.

Remove from heat. Pour onto baking sheet and spread about 1/4 inch thick.
Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips...
... and gently spread over the toffee as they start to melt.
Then sprinkle with nuts!
Allow to cool completely. When firm, break into pieces.

Enjoy!

Source: Adapted slightly by my mom, from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1974.