Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Birthday Cake Popcorn.

So here's what happened.

Friday afternoon I was trying to recreate one of those fancy Disneyland cookies I'd told you about earlier in the week. And it started out beautiful and promising: chocolate chip cookie dough, white chocolate candy melts, gorgeous swirls of raspberry preserves, and chunks of rich dark chocolate... the sort of cookie dough that spoons were made for, if you know what I mean. Dreamy. Indulgent.

Except it spread into one giant mess of gooey, melted, pink-streaked chocolate.

It happened.

So I sulked on the couch and decided baking wasn't for me anyways and I should probably just quit and turn in my apron, except I really loved that apron and what would I blog about? and I was kind of still hungry and was it my birthday yet? because I was ready for another weekend at Disneyland.
Then it hit me.

I didn't want cookies. I wanted popcorn.

And I wanted it to taste like birthday cake.

So, even though there was an actual birthday cake sitting not too far away (and by cake I mean one slice because that may or may not be all that's left), I started chopping up white chocolate, all while googling birthday cake popcorn on my phone & eyeing that box of cake mix I bought sometime around February, but never used. Did cake popcorn exist? It didn't. Yes! Let's do this.
Fact: I want to eat this picture. 

I love white chocolate. Like... love. And I've been saving this brick of Ghiradelli for what feels like forever. Mostly because it cost me about $4 and this is a recession, but I was also kind of hoping I'd lose all self-control and it would be there for me, waiting behind the chocolate chips and leftover mini marshmallows, to be consumed in a fit of  pants-popping indulgence.

What? Stop looking at me. I didn't. 

I made the obviously healthier choice.
I melted it. And whisked in heaping teaspoons of yellow cake mix and rainbow sprinkles. And poured it over hot buttery popcorn and warm, melting miniature M&Ms. Then threw on more sprinkles. Wouldn't you?

Colorful!
It's sweet, addictive, festive and fun, with a subtle taste of birthday cake in every deliciously rich handful. Next time I think I'll try using a white, unbuttered popcorn and a teaspoon or two more of cake mix (maybe funfetti?), but for now, buttery, salty popcorn + cakey white chocolate = mind-blowing deliciousness.
Cake batter popcorn. Do it.
Birthday Cake Popcorn

Printable Version

1 bag of popcorn, popped
8 ounces of white chocolate candy coating, melted (I used Ghiradelli white chocolate and a handful of white chocolate melts)
4 heaping teaspoons of yellow cake mix
Mini M&Ms
Assorted sprinkles

Pop popcorn and spread out on a paper towel, removing any kernels or burnt pieces, and place in a large bowl. Mix in mini M&Ms. 

Melt white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Stir in cake mix until smooth, then stir in about 3 teaspoons of sprinkles. Immediately pour over popcorn. Using a wooden spoon, mix the popcorn and M&Ms until completely coated. 

Pour out onto wax paper or into a wax-paper lined jelly roll pan and spread into a single layer. Sprinkle with sprinkles until festive, then let cool and harden. Break into pieces and enjoy! 

Source: A Bakergirl original.
Would it be wrong to eat this on top of ice cream?

48 comments:

  1. When life hands you cookies that don't work out, make delicious birthday cake popcorn! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - you kill me, you really do!!! This looks incredible. Saving it for next time I need a sugar fix:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This confirms we would be best friends. First you know I'm obsessed with birthday cake anything. Never thought of popcorn I need to try this. And second, I love Disney. Those minnie mouse cookies are insane. I'm going to Disneyworld Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say it aint so! This looks sinful. I made a similar creation with melted peeps post Easter and I ate the entire bowl in one sitting. This is my weakness. Wait all sugar is my weakness but, add a touch of salty sweet and I am DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this today, It looks too good to wait another day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. too cute. we have 2 birthdays coming up within a week. hmmmmm may be a good treat for kids for parties and good movie night treat.

    p.s. love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and perfect for my sweet cravings!
    Can't wait to try it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This may be silly but do you just use the unmixed cake mix? Like the powder? Also I have made the malt cake and the Oreo cupcakes this week! Huge hits. I am so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous- Yes, I just used a plain, unmixed yellow cake mix. You just stir the powder right into the melted white chocolate. I'm glad you liked the cake & cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son just looked over my shoulder and told me whatever that was that i need to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, that popcorn looks AMAZING! Birthday-cake flavored anything is right up my alley. I have definitely bookmarked this recipe--thanks so much for creating it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a popcorn cake, by popping popcorn enough to fill an angel food cake pan, after popping it, salt it a little and add 2 cups of M and M's and 1 cup of peanuts. then I melt a 16oz. bag of marshmallows and 6Tablespoons of oleo. Melt oleo and marshmallows over low heat and pour over popcorn mixture and mix well together and put in angel food cake pan and push down. Let it cool a half hour and put it on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to make this for my daughter in Texas. Does anyone know how long you can store this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. any suggestions for the type of popcorn? butter flavored or plain?

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is the most original recipe and i'm drooling right now - omg crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been looking all over the Internet for this type of recipe. My son tried some "Cupcake Popcorn" from popcornopolis and couldn't stop raving about it. So - does the cake mix really add any flavor? I am going to buy the ingredients tomorrow! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How much popcorn?

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh, this is interesting. i have some extra yellow cake mix from another recipe + am looking for a way to use it up. may give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made some with the confetti mix! Yikes is it awesome! Thanks for mentioning it. I would imagine most flavors being yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your sense of humor in your blog. Cute! Love this recipe but wanted to know what your trick was to not have the mini m&m's melt so mine looks as pretty as your picture. Also-if you "NEED" this one day and don't have the white chocolate, like what happened to me...try melting some "cream cheese frosting in a tub" instead of the white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made this for a second time! Craaave it! I have made it both times with microwave kettle corn and added a sprinkle of extra salt after tossing everything together. Makes the cake batter flavor really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is terrific. I am in the process of planning my niece's birthday party with her, and she LOVES popcorn...I can't wait to bring this out :-).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Made this today and it was delicious!! May use less white chocolate next time bc it really overpowered the cake batter taste to me. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. trying to make this today, my kids are so excited -- but i'm using my own popcorn, it's not in a bag -- so how much should i pop? a 1/4 cup?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so wish I would have read the comments before attempting to make this. I made bags of this for my family & friends for Valentine's Day. After mixing the cake batter with the melted chocolate & ruining it twice I gave up on the batter & just used the melted chocolate, sprinkles & M&M's. I realize after reading the comments that it should not have been batter but just the powder! Aaahhh!!! I feel like hitting myself.
    Must try this again the correct way. The popcorn was a hit nonetheless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Did anyone elses chocolate turn out grainy after mixing in the cake mix? How do I stop this from happening!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. I'm speechless. This is totally an eye-pamperer!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks really good... making it next weekend for a hockey tournament

    ReplyDelete
  30. Huge hit at my daughters 3rd Birthday party!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I recommend adding the m&m's at the very end with the sprinkles so you end up with pretty white chocolate popcorn and not chocolate popcorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't wait to try this! Hugs & Cookies posted this last night!! But I was wondering if this is the recipe you used for the White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies, This came from Talk Disney - http://www.talkdisney.com/forums/disney-recipes/45910-disneylands-white-chocolate-raspberry-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just found this recipe and they do look a little bit better - http://thechocolatepot.blogspot.com/2010/05/raspberry-and-white-chocolate-cookies.html and I can't see why you couldn't just add some dark chocolate chunks/chips to it!! Now I'm in the mood for these!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Would it be ok to make this today (Thursday) for a birthday party on Saturday? It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just made this today for my husband's birthday. He said he didn't want a whole cake for just the two of us laying around (ha!) but I couldn't just not make sweets for his birthday! This is perfect and just as festive as a cake. Thanks for the great recipes! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey there! Came here from pinterest and must just say: This looks amazing! Need to try :) Others think I'm crazy, but I love to top ny strawberryicecream with salted, buttery popcorn, so I say go for it! :) Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  37. I cannot get over this! I'm searching for a person with a birthday tomorrow just so I have a fairly reasonable excuse to indulge :) Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It is something fun for Birthdays! Today is my neighbor's Birthday, so I made some and am taking it to her tonight. I made 2 batches...the first batch was made with the mini M&M's, and the 2nd batch was made without the mini M&M's. I did not like the flavor of the mini M&M's added to this, I thought (and both my kids thought) that it tasted much better without them. I put in about 7 heaping tsp of the cake mix powder, and it does make the white chocolate thicker and harder to mix in the popcorn, but I just microwaved it again for about 15-20 seconds and it was a bit easier to spread around on the popcorn. (I just kept adding the cake mix powder until i got to the desired taste.) Also, I used Guittard white ribbon coating (which is what most popcorn companies use on their popcorn) it has a great taste! I buy it in a 5 pound bag sold at Orson Gygi in Salt Lake City Utah for 12.99. (You can also order it on line here: http://www.gygi.com/shop/index.php/guittard-white-pastel-ribbon-coating.html
    Thanks again for sharing this recipe Kerry! :)
    Have a great day! Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG! This popcorn will be PERFECT for my birthday this Friday. It's just too cute!

    I featured your recipe on my blog, stop by and say hello!

    http://allyjeanhellyer.blogspot.com/2012/03/food-crush-its-my-birthday.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  40. Could this be formed into popcorn balls?

    ReplyDelete
  41. By "bag of popcorn" do you mean one microwave popcorn or a full bag of kernels a la Orville Redenbacher?

    ReplyDelete
  42. No need to lick a batter bowl again!

    ReplyDelete
  43. do you think you could make this into a cake shape by pressing it into a pan? or would it not stick together?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Me& my boyfriend decided to try this as I came across this recipe on complete accident. Loved the idea of birthday cake popcorn ,It came out good and was a fun recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  45. Stunning cakes. This is really amazing birthday cakes popcorn. I appreciated for this great work and the popcorn looks too real. Thank you for excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Did you try the white unsalted popcorn? I just made a test batch with white unsalted and I'm wondering if butter would be better.

    ReplyDelete