Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chocolate Malt Cake.

If you: love baking, love cake, love baking, have a food blog, love baking, and/or occasionally make really delicious things come out of your kitchen... somewhere along the line the task of making birthday cakes has probably fallen on you. 
Last year for my mom's birthday I made a chocolate overdose cake, a layer of thick, rich, fudgy brownie topped with chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, and chocolate ganache. It was probably the best cake I've ever made.

Or... was.
Hello.
I love you.
This is hands-down the most deliciously moist, sinfully rich, melt-in-your-mouth, to-die-for chocolate cake ever. It's honestly the best cake I've ever made (or had). It's better than Texas sheet cake. It's better than the Olive Garden's chocolate lasagna. It's even better than cheesecake. I can't believe I just said that.
It's officially our new go-to birthday cake.
... too bad my birthday's not til February. Half-birthdays, anyone?
Both the cake and the frosting are made using malted milk, which gives it a subtle, old-fashioned malt milkshake sort of taste, and the entire thing is decorated with Whoppers. Fancy!
I think you know what's for breakfast. 
Chocolate Malt Cake

Printable Recipe

Cake
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup malted milk powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Malt Frosting
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup malted milk powder
5 cups confectioners' sugar
Garnish: malted milk balls

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.

In the bowl of an electric mixture, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a small bowl, combine milk and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add milk mixture, oil, and eggs to flour mixture, beating at medium speed until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla, beating just until combined. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.

To make the frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and cocoa powder at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.

In a small bowl, combine cream and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add cream mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed to combine. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.

Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with malted milk balls, if desired.

Source: Paula Deen's Holiday Baking, 2007.

29 comments:

  1. I am so using this recipe! It looks fantastic and I'm extremely jealous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. I am IN love with this cake! LOL

    I cannot wait to make this and (hopefully) share it with friends before I devour the entire thing.

    Whoa.

    I love you.

    Erin @ ChopStitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lawdy, I am drooling on the keyboard!!!! There is nothing better than a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I love Whoppers AND chocolate. Both in one cake would make for a happy birthday indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! You sold me, you so sold me! I've got to find a reason to bake this cake. Malt chocolate Memorial Day, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a recipe that is using Malted Milk Powder... I'm going to try this little puppy out... Your photo's look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy!!! Next occasion where I need to bake a cake, this will be my pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an American living in The Netherlands and the only type of malted milk powder I can find easily is Ovaltine..do you think this would work? My youngest son is turing 11 in June and I know he would LOVE this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good gosh, this looks incredible!! Let's see--I adore chocolate, I love malted milk balls, and it's a CAKE! This is, without question, the perfect dessert trifecta. :) And, let's face it, Paula Deen may not be hip or chic (like I care--hah!) but some of her dessert recipes are pretty darn fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what do i do when i don't have baking soda?? they don't have it here where i live just baking powder, plz reply thank u very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sonya- I've never had Ovaltine before so I can't really say for certain. I know it's made with malt extract & since the malted milk in the cake & frosting is really just for flavor, I think it should work. Let me know how it turns out if you try it!

    Mishelle- I've never tried substituting for baking soda before so I can't really say how well any these might work, but I searched online & some people have recommended looking in your pharmacy for something called bicorbanto, sodium bicorbonate, or NaHCO3, depending on where you might live. Others have recommended substituting baking power & just doubling or tripling the amount, but for a cake, I'm not sure that's something I'd want to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This cake is gorgeous! You can tell how moist it is just by looking at it! I just want to dive in! (Actually, I just can't stop looking at the picture!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only beautiful but delicious. Malts are my total splurge and I love cake so this may be a match made in heaven for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you again for this recipe! I made it this weekend for a party of friends and they LOVED it :)

    Here's my blog about it with you linked.

    http://chopstitch.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-malt-cake.html

    Keep up the awesome baking!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg, I'm dying. Malt balls from the candy store are my favorite, especially when I can find dark chocolate ones. Your cake looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! I was just looking at the chocolate malt balls and work and trying to figure out what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. is there anything i can substitute for the malted milk powder?

    ReplyDelete
  18. May i know which brand of malted milk powder did you used? Will it be fine for me to use Horlicks?

    ReplyDelete
  19. i used ovaltine and my icing wasnt good.It was too sweet eventhough i added less suger and the icing wasnt smooth and glossy.Any reason why this happened?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a good recipe. Went down a storm - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is it possible if I omit the malted milk powder for the cake? Cause I just want a chocolate cake instead of chocolate malt cake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just finished making this cake for my daughter's birthday and I can't wait for her to try it! I will say that the icing was a bit stodgy, so I added two more small mixtures of the whipping cream/Horlick's and it turned out perfect. I should say that I always just add icing sugar as needed, a bit at a time, so my icing didn't require 5 cups and was rich, rather than too sweet. It's the most lovely icing I've come across and had amazing spreadability! Thanks so much for this amazing cake recipe, as I'd seen Nigella Lawson's and didn't think it looked worth even trying. Love it and will definitely make it again :-) !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use malted milk powder.It is not available at my place.any substitutes please?

      Delete
    2. will the regular horlicks do ??

      Delete
  23. I just finished baking. I used ovaltine and skipped sour cream. Stille turned out great. Omg thankyou so much. This is the first time ever i baked a cake it tirned out great ur recipe was greaaat. Thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chocolate cake is special in Valentines day but the shape of cake should be heart shaped.
    send gifts to pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I use the chocolate flavored ovaltine instead of the original one as that is the only one easily available where i live

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just made this and it came out perfect. We used the Ovaltine malt mix and it was fine. The malt flavor is very mild, but otherwise probably the best cake we've made that didn't come from a mix. It was delicious and has held up great in and out of the refrigerator for a week while we kept eating away at it.

    One step not mentioned in the directions: Like any layer cake, you may need to do a flat cut across the top of the layers (to cut off some of the dome that forms when it bakes) before assembling the cake if you want it to stack nicely. This way you also get some little bits of cake to sample before it is time to cut into the finished cake!

    ReplyDelete