Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Potato Cheese Chowder.

I thought I'd be different today and make you dinner. Is that okay? Just in case you wanted something sometime that isn't, you know, rolled in sugar or dipped in chocolate.

Also it's cold and rainy today. 

And I just typed my blog's name into Wordle and this happened.
The bigger the word, the more often it appears in posts.

Cake.

Butter.

Chocolate.

... is this why my pants don't fit?

Don't answer that.

So let's talk about soup. This soup. Potato cheese chowder. It's kind of my favorite. Actually... it's the only soup I've ever had that I honestly like. I've never been much of a soup person; there's just something about it that I can't seem to get behind. This recipe, though, comes from my mom. It's a family favorite and I love it. And it tastes like a rainy day should: thick, warm, hearty, full of potato chunks and crisp celery and melted cheddar cheese. Paired with a buttery slice of piping hot cornbread, it's kind of heaven.

Potato Cheese Chowder

Printable Recipe

4 peeled potatos, chopped into medium-sized chunks
2 large celery stalks, chopped small
1 minced onion
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk, warm

Saute chopped potatos, celery, and minced onion in cooking oil for several minutes, then add chicken broth. 

Simmer until potatos are tender, for about 20 to 25 minutes, then add warm milk. 

Add grated chedder cheese. Stir to melt and serve! 

Source: Family recipe.