Monday, June 13, 2011

Rocky Road Brownie Bites.

The facts: I thought of these. I wanted these. I made them. I ate them.

These little chocolate chunk brownies are topped with a spoonful of gooey rocky road-marshmallow mixture, frozen, then dipped in melted chocolate. And can I tell you? They don't look like much, because it was raining when I took these photos and the brownies were frozen and the chocolate was slowly un-freezing, but these are probably one of the best things I've made this year so far. I kind of love them. 
And I don't really like brownies. Or rocky road. It's the peanuts, I think. I don't like nuts in my chocolate. 
But ever since Disneyland & the rocky road cup the size of my face, I've wanted something rocky road and I've wanted it on top of rich, chocolatey brownies and I've wanted it dipped in chocolate. 
And bite-size.
So I could eat seventeen of them and not feel guilty. 

I have a confession to make though. Not about eating seventeen of them in one sitting. That happened, but these are, well... kind of a mess to make. I microwaved the marshmallows until they were soft and puffy, stirred in the chocolate chips, and peanuts, and ended up using my hands to scoop out about a tablespoon of the rocky road to plop onto of the brownies. And you have to work quickly, or the mixture will harden, and while you'd think a cookie scoop would work best, the marshmallows just stick to everything. 

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.   
More spoons to lick!

Rocky Road Brownie Bites 

Printable Recipe

Brownie batter (your favorite recipe or a boxed mix)
2 cups of mini marshmallows
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped peanuts or pecans
1/2 cup chocolate chips
Chocolate candy melt, almond bark, or more chocolate chips for melting

Preheat oven according to brownie recipe or boxed brownie mix. Spray mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. 

Prepare brownies according to directions and fill muffin cups about 1/2 full. Bake according to recipe. When done, place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. 

When cooled, place the brownie cups on a baking sheet or in a jelly roll pan and prepare rocky road mixture. 

In a large bowl, microwave the marshmallows and butter until puffy, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Quickly stir in chopped peanuts or pecans, then gently fold in chocolate chips. This is where it gets messy. Working quickly, use a spoon or your hands to scoop out small tablespoons of the rocky road mixture and place it on top of each brownie cup. Place baking sheet in the freezer for at least fifteen minutes, until hardened enough to dip. It's okay if they don't look perfect... you're going to dip them in chocolate!

Melt almond bark, chocolate melts, or chocolate chips before removing brownies from the freezer. Dip the tops in melted chocolate, then place on a wax-paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set. 

Source: A Bakergirl original.